Friday, February 10, 2012

Be still my heart

Besides the fact that chips and crackers have no real nutritional value, they are just plain not good for you. I would be lying though if I said that I never dream about, crave sour cream and onion flavored chips and crackers. Now, I admit, I am weak and if my dairy allergy didn't prevent me from buying these things I would probably 'cheat' on my healthy eating a little bit too often. Enter the Sour Cream & Onion Kale Chip. Girlfriend, you heard me right! I said, "Sour Cream & Onion KALE CHIPS." Where has this recipe been hiding the last 3 years? I found a recipe that looked good on Carrie On Vegan and tweaked it a little to my standards. Be still my heart.






In other baking related news, I've been seeing a lot of dessert recipes in honor of valentines day that call for a can of black beans. Yes, I said black beans. I am having trouble wrapping my head around the recipe for  Valentines Day Dark Chocolate Strawberry Muffins  or Black Bean Brownies (they should really change the name) that call for a can of black beans as their main ingredient.  Which of course means I'm going to have to try at least one of these recipes. Wouldn't it be great if they were actually really good AND guilt free? Hmm, I'm feeling skeptical. This will probably turn out like my dessert hummus.

Today was a great MOPS day even though everything went wrong before hand. BUT I realized something as I was letting people hurl questions at me. I have some secret blog stockers. Leave me a comment people! Don't be afraid, be a lover not a hater. I LOVE comments. Be still my heart.

8 comments:

donnajolley@gmail.com said...

Can't quite imagine the joy of the Kale Chip or the Black Bean dessert????? (should we try that on Tuesday? I watched Forks Over Knives last night and, much to my dismay, it is so convincing. Searched a vegan website tonight for something to make. Made a soup with kale, quinoa, potato, brocolli, carrot, onion and lots of interesting seasoning - including some Sriracha, lemon juice and avocado to top it off. Would make it again.

jessicahaas said...

Black bean brownies are soooo good!!! I have made them a couple times yum!

donnajolley@gmail.com said...

Can't quite imagine kale chips and black bean dessert - should we try that on Tuesday night? On the other hand, I watched Forks Over Knives last night and dang if it isn't convincing. Searched a vegetarian blog to find a recipe for dinner and ended up making a soup with kale, quinoa, brocolli, onion, potato, garlic, interesting spices etc. topped with Sriracha, avocado, lemon juice and corn kernals - turned out okay - worth doing again. Keep the experimentation going - we need some good stuff.

Stephanie Young said...

That's funny, I just made sour cream and onion kale chips the other day. I burned them, so needless to say they didn't come out well. I was gonna email you the recipe to see what you thought, but I see we were on the same track! :) I'll try again now that I know you liked them.

The Switzer Ohana said...

Hello, my name is Ashley. I am a secret blog stalker!

Anonymous said...

I had a black bean brownie at my nephew's b-day party last weekend. It didn't taste any different, but I think she said they replace the eggs and oil. There's was still tons of sugar, so they tasted great, but they definitely aren't healthy...maybe just healthier??

I think we need to start a cooking group...we all bring our crazy healthy recipes we want to try, make them together, and eat them together. I have a big kitchen. I'll host:)

Julie

TP said...

Between the kale chips and Donna's soup "recipes", I am definitely going to stalk this blog from now on.
And the dessert hummus was good, Krista :) Keep the experiments coming.

Carrie (Carrie on Vegan) said...

Thanks for the link to my blog and so glad you liked the kale chips!!! :)