Saturday, August 27, 2011

Well it's finally happened. I now have two kids officially in school. I have been looking forward to this and dreading it at the same time all summer. I have been so excited that Tessa would have Mrs. Ball, the same teacher that Tully had, whom I absolutely adore. I knew that would help her to feel confident and secure. I also knew that she was SO ready for kindergarten and it's challenges. I am thrilled that Tully has Mrs. "M" his teacher of choice and even more thrilled that he will be challenged, have structure and hopeful that his love of learning will continue to grow.
So why was I up at 4:30am the morning that school was to start, tossing and turning? Because they're gone!! I'm not in control! The house was quiet and I didn't know what to do with myself. Nobody was fighting, trying to sneaking sugar cereal or yelling "Mommy!?" at me. I'm not with them to help them make good decisions, tell them to eat all of their lunch, to wash their hands or to be a good friend.
I have to trust that the things I have tried to instill in them these last 5 and 6 years will be enough to carry them through while they are away from me for 5 - 6 hours each day. I want to be there to tell them not to make that mistake, or to be nice to that person, and don't even get me started about my fear of what Tully might hear on the big kid playground! I have to trust that God is taking care of them and continue to teach them the values that are important to our family at home. Phew, feels like a big task!
Oh, and all of the things I thought that I would accomplish at home while they were at school? Um, yeah that hasn't happened yet.










I do have to mention that as a kid I did not like school at all. I am so happy that both kids love school so far! Last year Tully used to be sad that it was the weekend because he just wanted to go to school (we'll see how long that lasts :)

No comments: