Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Reminders

This week is one of those crazy weeks before Christmas. There are Christmas cards to send, gifts to buy, laundry to be folded, holiday baking to do. Not to mention I should probably take a shower and get out of my pj's at some point. I've been feeling stressed and overwhelmed with so many things to do in general, so when Beck woke up early from his morning nap, I admit I was annoyed. I was determined to  get him back to sleep so we sat in the rocker and started rocking. At first he was trying to claw his way out of my arms and I could practically hear him saying "I'm NOT tired!" but as we kept rocking he started to settle down and so did I. We both took deep breaths and started to relax. As I sat there holding him, his cheek pressed against my chest, his chubby fingers on my face, stroking his soft little bald head, I started to remember that I didn't want to miss this. I might never get my Christmas cards out but I know I will never get today back with Beck. He is growing so quickly and as I think back over the last year, I can't believe how much everyone is changing. All 3 kids are getting so big and I feel nostalgic. And humbled. I sat with Beck and I thought of the true meaning of Christmas. Jesus birth. I thought of how I often try to claw my way out of Jesus arms the same way Beck tried to get out of mine. I thought of how thankful I am to have a savior. I  thought of how thankful I am for the little things. Walks around the block in the cold to look at Christmas lights as a family, apple cider after school, my floor being littered with scraps of paper as my kids cut out snowflakes, Tully walking around singing Hark The Herald Angles Sing and reading the Christmas story before bed. I'm also thankful for gentle reminders in the form of a baby. Merry Christmas!

3 comments:

sara said...

so true!! we will not get these days back...trying to remember that every minute of every day!!!

sara said...

so true!! we will never get these days back!

Angela White said...

oh man...thanks for making me cry! This was a good mid-December reminder Krista...thanks!