For the last year I have been anticipating Tully starting kindergarten with large amounts of fear, sadness and some excitement. Tully on the other hand has been counting down the days until kindergarten starts, always eager to be a 'big kid' and independent. Well, the big day finally happened and even though I had spent the previous nights losing sleep about my happy, bald headed baby going off to kindergarten, he awoke as always with a big smile on his face and ready to go. After pancakes, pictures and a lot of first day jitters (only on my part) we were off. We arrived at the playground and Tully was in his element, saying hi to Nathan, finding Bryan and Spencer and playing happily. The bell rang and the kids were off to their classrooms. Tully lined up on his blue line and after the teacher gave a short, exciting speech, she told the kids to wave goodbye to their parents. Tully turned, looked at us and smiled the biggest smile. He waved goodbye and all of the sudden they were walking into the classroom. I had promised myself that I wouldn't cry and yet I couldn't help it as I watched my little boy's back dissapear into the unknown world of "that other person with my kid for 5 hours."
Anyway, I felt confident that he was going to have a great day, love his teacher and have a fun time. He did. It was awesome :)
The next 2 days have been more of the same. Tully LOVING going to school and me feeling a mix of pride, happiness and loss every time I watch him smile and wave at me as he walks through that door. Today I got to work in his class and it was a ton of fun! He was so cute and proud to have me in there and I can't wait for next week.
3 comments:
Man this makes me tear up too! I remember getting him out of his crib in the morning (against your will), and sitting him on my bed where he would happily play with my make-up bag while I got ready to go to work at Westmont. Hard to believe he is in Kindergarden now! I'm glad you get to help in his class though :) and I love seeing these pictures!!
so sweet. ahh. I am dreading the day o goes to kindergarten. I know I will be a wreck!
I definitely reacted to this post b/c it's SO true. At Brody's school we were invited to come in and linger after class started. I didn't want to leave!
Love your Kindergarten Sign. What a cool tradition. I'm flashing in my mind to the picture of him proudly holding up a "1st Day of Senior Year" sign :)))
Post a Comment